Holly's Place

A Non-Desperate Housewife from Texas shares her life and family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I'm a wife and a mommy and a friend. I grew up in the quiet country in Indiana and now I live in the big city in Texas.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Scream for Ice Cream

Howdy! It's been awhile. Just thinking I'll weigh in on my favorite subject: ice cream.

Ice cream must be my very favorite food, although I truly enjoy eating in general and have many favorite foods. My official favorite ice cream is Black Raspberry Chip from Graeter's. I love the creamy, smooth, not-too-sweet raspberry ice cream and the delectable dark chocolate chips that melt in your mouth. It also has some sentimental value from our time in Lexington and Wilmore. My sweet husband, Philip, is so sweet that he actually brought me a half-gallon back on the plane when he had a trip to Lexington. The dry ice handling cost made it the most expensive 1.75 qts of ice cream ever!! And it was truly a delicious treat and I enjoyed every bite (in several separate sittings).

Blue Bell is the favorite ice cream here in Texas. They have lots of original flavors and it's available in all the grocery and convenience stores here. It's good for every day ice cream, but it has an occasional icy chunk in the ice cream, and that really bothers me.

I must confess that my latest comfort when Philip is out-of-town is to buy those little pints of Ben & Jerry's or Godiva or Haagen-Dazs. I promise I eat the pints in 3 or 4 sittings, not just one. My favorite flavor is a toss-up between Chubby Hubby and Phish Food.

My favorite homemade ice cream is the Dark Chocolate Ice Cream recipe from the recipe book, Chocolate Conspiracy. There is a huge difference between the hand-crank and the motorized ice cream makers. It all comes down to creaminess for me and the hand-crank ice cream, although it is lots of work (for the men :-)) is smooth as butter.

The local treat I've been craving is actually frozen custard, not ice cream. Sheridan's Frozen Custard serves excellent frozen custard. Their Mocha Almond Concrete is rich and creamy and delightful. Unfortunately (or fortunately), there isn't a location very close to us so we don't go very often. But it is worth the long drive for a delectable dessert.

Well, I'm headed to the kitchen for some Blue Bell mint chocolate chip ice cream with Oreos crushed on it. Hey, it's what we've got in the freezer tonight!

3 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Putnam said...

While it's no Graeters, I highly recommend Milwalke Joes http://www.milwaukeejoes.com/flavorcalendar.html. They have a Raspberry Chocolate Truffle that is wonderful. (The chocolate truffles are hard though, not like the fudgy chips that Graeters has.) It’s over off of Harwood and (Norwood?) Behind the Firestone on the north side of the road. (by the Athletic Club.) Phil knows where it is… so does mom. You should really try it out sometime, for your creamy, made in store, super premium ice-cream.

Love ya! See ya in a few days.

9:24 AM, December 22, 2005  
Blogger DGH said...

oh man Blue Bell that sounds good...maybe I could send yall some Graters? heh.... Hey You need to send Tiffany your blog address, I bet she would love to visit every now and then. love yall!

8:25 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Brandon and Jenny said...

Hey Holly-in all of your spare time...blog some more! This way I can keep in touch with you while in Guatemala easier.
Jenny Scott (Brando is Brandon's blog)

6:01 AM, October 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home